Wednesday, January 19, 2005

So far, we're still allowed to pray in public

Michael Newdow claimed that a prayer at President George W. Bush’s inauguration would violate the constitution by forcing him to accept unwanted religious beliefs.

Chief Justice William Rhenquist disagreed, so for now a prayer will be included in the inauguration.

Two lower courts also rejected Newdows request to ban prayer, according to Yahoo! News, stating that he could not prove actual injury by hearing the prayer.

People never cease to amaze me.

In what way does Bush’s freedom to express his own beliefs at his own inauguration force Newdow to accept unwanted beliefs?

I don't think people mocking God in more and more TV shows and movies is forcing me to accept unwanted beliefs. Despite barely being able to watch anything that doesn't insult my intelligence for believing in God, I manage to maintain my beliefs just fine.

Newdow's belief system must be pretty weak if the simple act of hearing someone pray - which is optional by the way. It's not like you're chained to the TV - will force him to accept anything.

Before I get a comment from my totally unbiased reader, Toad734 - who hates my columns so much he finds the time to read every one of them – let me just say this. If we ever elect a Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish or atheistic president, then I will be more than happy to let him pray to whomever he chooses and in whatever fashion (unless it includes stoning me for not having my hair covered) without claiming he is forcing my conversion.

I will also not accuse him of trying to establish a theocracy (that is unless makes Islam the national religion, in which case I won’t have much say anyway – I’ll be too busy trying to raise 10 kids from under my veil, while splitting chores with my husband’s other two wives).

Really that’s not the point of this article though. I’ve come to a realization.

We will win a few points for our religious freedom, and our opponents will win a few points in their quest to stifle it.

People will continue to do cruel, tragic things to other people. People in general, however, will continue to love good. Insane people will still win sometimes, no matter how illogical or tyrannical their arguments may be. The world will continue on its path to destruction.

I sincerely believe that in the near future one of two things will happen. One by one we will lose our religious rights – therefore weeding out those of us who are not serious about our faith, and awakening others to its importance – or there will be a huge revival.

And then we will lose our religious rights. We’ve already seen that it only takes a few to suppress thousands. It doesn’t matter that much what the majority thinks.

We’re nearing the end, and in the end, Newdow’s knee will bow right along with the rest of us. But he will be having considerably different feelings than I will at that time I imagine.

So what do we do in the meantime?

We must continue to strive for revival, reach out to the lost, gather the harvest and above all love each other deeply, for love covers over a multitude of sins.

8 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have spoken a few times on similar topics, and I agree that there does seem to be people out there working hard to dismantle any reference to Christianity anywhere in the world.

The difficult task though is knowing how to respond to such people. Pointing out how silly their arguments are does not seem to work. Arguing for protection under the first ammendment lumps us in with the people who want goat excrement statues of satan to be respected as serious art. Ignoring it has not been successful in making it go away.

Your article here has made it seem like it is simply inevitable. We have no choice but to watch the people around us in the US continue to belittle our faith with no fear of God. Our hope is that God will give us some temporary reprieve through a revival.

Surely people with the creativity and authority of the Holy Spirit can overcome this. There must be a better answer. Why don't we seek and search for a better way?

And then I think that maybe we know the better way. Maybe really its our fault this is happening, that we have dropped the ball. I think the most basic, bottom line job of a Christian will slowly, over time, fix this problem:

Make more and better disciples.

Great Commission and Great Commandment.

Daily take up the cross and follow Him...

Its probably worth a try...

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the final decent into apocaplyptic doom? Or, could we be in a low point, about to have an upswing and several more centuries of better times?

I hear everyone saying with confidence that we are at the end. This is the last gasp, final slide into the tribulation and/or the end of the world.

My question is, couldn't this be a lull in the continued UPSWING from the dark ages? Could we be seeing several more major revivals that move the church of the 21st century to look more and more like the church of the 1st century? Could the end still be several centuries away?

I also worry that we are too focused in what is happening in the west, and extrapolating it to the world. Christianity is blooming in Asia and Africa. I would bet that Christians in Sudan or Korea are rejoicing at the new found influence Christianity is having in the political world around them. I doubt they are bracing for a terrible tribulation hoping desperately for the return of Christ.

Maybe they need to send missionaries to the US...

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Fnord, you still don't get this posting thing.
I don't have to send him an invitation unless I want him to be a member of the blog, or an owner. Otherwise, he can start his own account, like you did in the beginning, and comment if he likes.
But I know who he is.

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't agree Fnord. The creation of Israel does not necessarily put a "Bunsen burner" under anything. It is an event. It was prophecied. It does allow other events to occur. But, nothing about the event inherently changes any time line at all. Israel could take 300 years to get the temple built.

Also, even though my escatology is not very strong, I could give you several reasons why it might not be this generation.

- I don't see any mention of the US as a world power in the Bible. We either have to disappear or stop caring. That will take time.

- There is no temple.

- The Bible talks about the great power from the North. Who is that? Someone has to step up. (note, if that is the US, then we just need to start having a stronger anti-Israel sentiment... that will take time too, but probably not as much)

- We still have a ways to go before the gospel is preached to everyone.

Every generation for nearly 2000 years seems to have thought it was them. Maybe we can look back and say that it was foolish to think that in 900AD or something, but perhaps mankind will look back from the year 2350 and think we were silly as well.

Rkid1, as to your comments, I agree with your last post. I like the way you phrase it, "keep the end game in mind." I just hope its towards the back of the mind, and not front and center. I get frustrated with the people who refuse to grow through adversity and instead sit around begging Jesus to come back.

As for this Kelly (Kelley?) you speak of...

There was recently a guy who changed his name to "They." Perhaps I am one who has legally changed my name to "Anonymous." Did you think about that?!? =D

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somewhere there was an original post that this applies to:

Reverend Fun

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like pizza... It's tastey. I could eat it 4 or 5 times a week.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Me too

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Toad734 said...

Wow, I'm flattered, but I wasn't aware that I read all of your posts.
I agree that Newdow is a bit extreme but he does make some good points, for one, why was "under god" added to the pledge? And if it was just added, why can't we restore it to what it was originally. That is not all that much to ask, and in reality, it's a bit extreme to go back and add god to everything.
I have an idea why don't we add gods name to the Statue of Liberty, and to the Liberty Bell, and while we are at it, we might as well tattoo "we all love our protestant god" on Washington’s head on Mt. Rushmore .
Then when people try to get these things removed, you can call them liberal left wing Christ hating nut jobs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home