Wednesday, January 12, 2005

I'm not surprised it happened, I'm just surprised they got caught

I have discovered that I am the only journalist, blogger or general citizen on the planet not to have addressed the issue of “Memogate” as they are calling the CBS fiasco in which Dan Rather narrated a shoddily researched story about the president’s military service prior to the election.

So I will address it. But don’t expect to hear anything new.

Here’s the background. The CBS “news” show 60 Minutes, aired a story about documents that supposedly proved shortcomings in President Bush’s military service while in the Texas National Guard. At least I'm relatively sure that's what happened.

Approximately four seconds later, some other guys proved the documents had been forged. Scandal ensued. Ratings dropped. The American public struggled desperately to cope with its mixed emotions of rage at being lied to and satisfaction at being handed the one thing it truly loves – a good scandal. CBS defended its story with the stubborn vigor of a husband who comes home at 3 a.m. with lipstick on his collar and demands, “why don’t you trust me?”

So after an investigation and a 224-page report by some other people, presumably people who matter, four employees involved in the story were “asked” to resign, and another was fired. Rather kept his job.

The one who got fired, the story’s primary producer Mary Mapes, threw a temper tantrum as she left – probably infuriated that Rather still works at CBS – and said if a crime was committed, it wasn’t by her. Of course, we all know the producer has nothing to do with what airs. She’s just there for the food or something. Never mind that she practically begged her source for the story. Don’t worry, Mary, Dan may still have his job, but he’ll never repair his reputation.

Dan’s response to the whole thing, paraphrased of course, was, “It’s too bad those four people had to leave the network over this, but if it makes you guys feel any better – I thought you did a great job. Also I still think those documents are true.”

He also said he’d keep this incident in mind in the future, but qualified it, so it was clear what he meant – “I’m right. Leave me alone.”

Well, what have I always said about the media? They are not to be trusted. This only proves me right.

What I found interesting was that the important people I spoke of earlier – former Attorney General Dick Thornburgh and former Associated Press Chief Executive Officer Louis D. Boccardi – did not find evidence that Rather or anyone else had any political bias when they broadcast this story.

Funny – I found evidence of political bias when Dan Rather broadcast any story. Not just Dan Rather mind you. The media bent over backwards trying to get John Kerry in the White House. They were willing to sacrifice all pretense of non-partisanism, and just barely stopped short of screaming campaign slogans at the end of their newscasts.

So what’s everyone so surprised about?

Hopefully this will be the beginning. Perhaps reporters will watch their step when they begin to tread into areas where their personal opinions may slant their news-reporting. But I really doubt it.

4 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

That's one of those topics that just won't die. Kind of like Scott Peterson. Media outlets keep hammering the topic into the groud long after anyone really cares about it. I can't think if a single thing on CBS that I watch on a regular basis anyway. Lets just fire everyone and get some less partisan people in there, but I'll win the lotto twice in a month before that happens. Come to think of it I'd have to buy more than one lotto ticket in a month for that to happen too... Nope, that'll never happen.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

You'll win a few lotteries and get elected president before they even find a less partisan person to put there. Even I have not mastered the telling of the news without spinning it either my or my employers way. That's partly because Army news is command information, which is another way of saying "what we want you to hear and think" or - propaganda. Nevertheless, I think Americans are going to have to learn how to form opinions in spite of the news, not because of it.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

All publications or networks are biased one way or the other. When reporters look for jobs, they intentionally get jobs at publications or networks whose bias agrees with their own. They're not helpless victims. Hence my reluctance to apply at either the Appeal or the Gazette Journal back home, although the latter has an opening I am interested in.
Oddly, the word of the day today in Mirriam-Webster's Online Dictionary is "tendentious: marked by a tendancy in favor of a particular point of view: biased.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Ha! As usual, I and every columnist on the face of the earth have been one-upped by the lovely genious Ann Coulter. Check out her column, "Liar, Liar, now you're fired" at www.anncoulter.com, or www.humaneventsonline.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home