Friday, January 07, 2005

The Hussein brothers had excellent taste in suits

My favorite columnist, Ann Coulter, once said (roughly) “there is some good in everybody. Hitler didn’t smoke for example.”

My boss, whenever anyone refers to his ex-wife in any capacity, answers, “She’s a wonderful mother.” Unwilling to say anything bad about her, he says the only good thing he can say with a clear conscience.

In this spirit, I have decided to start looking for the good in people and have met with some degree of success. It turns out there is always something good to say about everyone, whether you like them or not. Here are some examples of good things about people who have been previously subject to criticism in some of my articles.

John Kerry: he was an altar boy

The American Civil Liberties Union: It has a very professional Web site

My friend Stuart: He doesn’t smell bad

Jeremy Hinzman (deserter from 82nd Airborne Division): He seems like a good father, kind of (unless you count setting an example for your children as good parenting).

British people: They make excellent tea.

All the guys I live with: They’ve never murdered anyone (that I’m aware of).

Spc. Marquise J. Roberts (got shot in the leg to avoid deployment): He’s got an interesting name.

Feminists: Uhhh … give me some time, I’ll think of something.

Muslim extremist terrorists: They are skilled with explosives.

Journalists: They … can … write stuff?

Canada: It is large

Florida: There is a very nice restaurant somewhere in Orlando.

Ivana from “The Apprentice”: She has nice legs.

Well, okay, perhaps I’m better at criticism than compliments. But I am to some extent striving to see people in a better light and to remember that Jesus died for them as well as for me. Rees Howells said, “You don’t love your savior one bit more than you love the least person he died for.”

That’s a rough message and I have a long way to go. How can I sacrifice the cynicism I so cherish?

This doesn’t mean you will no longer see criticism of others in my column. Only that I will, as I point out their obvious flaws, try to remain aware of my own. And I will attempt to include one good point about each person I write about.

5 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

Hitler helped get us out of the Great Depression.

Christine Gregoire knows how to convince dead people to vote for her. (gov. elect of Washington State)

Michael Moore probably keeps dozens of people employed at the fast food restaurants near his house without any extra help from others.

Stupid people always give me a reason to laugh at them.

Dang, this whole positive thinking thing is getting progressively harder. And British people also make great comedy shows.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Saying unkind things about people isn't necessarily bad. In the bible God uses alot of discourteous phrases and insulting analogies. Alot of them are very much not PG, I can think of several off the top of my head. Ezekial 23 comes to mind. (read the Bible enough times and you will be amazed what pops into your head.)

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

True. Every time you read the Bible you find something you didn't see before. That's even true if you read Proverbs over every month, as I do.
Ezekiel is a tough book, but good. I'm in 2 Kings right now.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I read the Bible through every year. I'm on my eigth time through and I'm still finding passages that seem totaly new.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

Kate?
Will you marry me?


Feminists: All of their heated rhetoric helps turn oxygen into valuable cardon dioxide which helps trees grow big as big and strong as a man's bicep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home