Monday, January 10, 2005

'Working hard, or hardly working?'

Never heard that before!

One of my numerous roommates recently found me sitting in the kitchen reading my Bible (which I’ve been known to do, much to the inexplicable distress of said roommates).

After greeting me, he launched into an extensive account of his search for tires for his wife’s car the previous day. Glancing around the kitchen and discovering there was no one else present, I concluded he must be talking to me, so I smiled, made a general comment of acknowledgement, then continued my reading.

Not to be put off, and apparently taking no note at all of the fact that I was not participating in the conversation, my guest pulled up a chair and continued his narrative. I offered an obligatory chuckle, thinking he must be nearing the end.

He poured himself a cup of coffee and branched out into a different subject. No longer even bothering to grunt acknowledgement, I studiously ignored him while reading the same paragraph over and over without ever really processing it, and become more and more irritated.

I don’t understand some people. I am never, upon entering a room and finding its occupant - barely even an acquaintance - buried in a book (although that rarely happens where I live), compelled to provide him with a banal update of my life.

I never look at someone and think, “Wow, he looks like he’s really concentrating. Probably he wants to hear about the new shoes I bought this weekend”

I also never have a burning desire when I pass people in the hallway to inquire whether they’re “having fun yet” and I will never understand why other people do.

It’s not funny. But the recipient of the comment is forced by common courtesy to laugh anyway, or offer some equally mundane and not-funny comment in return, despite both parties being aware that it’s not at all funny.

In what way does this enrich our lives? Why can’t we just smile and say “how are you today?” Why are we inclined to fill every last millisecond of awkward silence with clichés?

In case you’re interested in hearing me whine a little more, here’s another one. I’ll be reading a book and someone who just can’t get over the fact that I read (why is that so perplexing?) will ask me, “What are you reading?”

I hold up the book, and they have invariably never heard of it (despite my having held it up to them the previous day). “Huh. Never heard of it,” they reply. “You know what you should read? You should read …” and they proceed to tell me the entire plot of every book they’ve ever read. Unfortunately I discover at this point they’ve read much more than I would have given them credit for.

“Or, alternatively, I could read what I’m already reading or I could if you would leave,” I want to shout but, alas, don’t.

I know this sounds snobby, and it’s not intended to. The men I work with are great Soldiers, war heroes and good men in general. See, I told you I’d include something good in every article.

I’ll just have to do my reading at the coffee shop and continue explaining again and again that “Of course, I’m having fun, har har. How could I not, what with you insisting on asking me if I am every time you see me?”

6 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Matt said...

It's kind of funny. I'm on the opposite end of the equation. I have a tendency to talk to whoever happens to be in my general vicinity whether we have anything meaningful to communicate or not. I guess I assume that since I generally like to chat other people do too. The exception being when I'm reading or on my computer. When on the computer I'd rather IM someone sitting next to me then turn and talk to them face to face.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

That's funny. The other day I was text-messaging someone who was sitting across the table from me at a restaurant.
But in case you get the wrong impression, I love to talk and I love people. I just hate it when people bug me while I'm reading.
And the "are you having fun yet" comment just has no point and it's way overused.
As to your comment on the other article, I think one of the reasons we always find new passages in the Bible when we read it is because we are constantly growing in our spiritual walk. Each time we read it we are at a different place in our relationship with God and He has something different to say to us. Just a theory.

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When meeting an acquantence while walking down the hall, how should I acknowledge you? The boring, formal "Hello?" A "Hi, howyadoin?" when you know quite well I don't want to know how you are doing, but I want to hear "Fine, howareyou?" So I can say "Good." I have tried to vary the script, and often I get puzzled looks and awkward responses. I have tried "Are we winning yet?" "What's the good word?" "Yo Dawg!" "Hey" "Howdie" None of them can be counted on for satisfactory results either. I have used "Are we having fun yet?", but only when it is clear that me and the other person are suffering in the same way and that fun is no where to be found.

Perhaps I should start using "Look Out! Its a conversation!!!"

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

I am usually able to ignore a person until they realize that I'm reading something interesting. Trying to read in very distracting environments like school or home, where reading and learning isn’t easy or really encouraged, gets easier with time.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Wow, I can write about polotics, religion, and what do you get the most responses on? what to say to people in the hallways!

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

"Hot enough for ya'?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home