Tuesday, January 18, 2005

A 'literal' case of writer's block becomes a lecture

I have scoured the internet, my imagination and the news - and have found nothing to write about today.

This could be because by "scoured" I mean "performed a cursory search with little or no enthusiasm."

Perhaps I'm just under the weather - literally. If you are a Washington resident, you are probably aware that I swam to work today. Okay not literally.

But while we're on the subject, let's discuss the use - and misuse - of the word "literal" in our vocabularies (look at that, a subject just appeared out of nowhere!)

Some definitions of "literal": free from exaggeration or embellishment; actual; exact; adhering to fact or to the ordinary construction or primary meaning of a term or expression. Basically the implication, when you say, "literally" is that you are not exaggerating. So why do we continue to use it when we are, in fact, exaggerating?

Allow me to elaborate.

A preacher last week in my church back home, while describing an experience he had, said it was "literally hell." By using the word "literal" he inadvertently assured the congregation he had actually visited hell.

Of course that's not what he meant, but the American language is rife with similar examples.

A friend tells you he is "literally freezing to death." An acquaintance tells you he is "starving. literally." A co-worker tells you it would "literally take an act of Congress" to get a task done.

If any of these speakers are to be taken at their word, an appropriate response to the first two would be shock, horror, and emergency measures. You can assume the third is trying to get something passed in Congress.

Oddly, we use the word to add credibility to our sentences - to emphasize our point - and in so doing make an innocent exaggeration into, quite literally, a lie.

Perhaps you should provide some suggestions for tomorrow's topic. Otherwise we will discuss the word "myself" and why it's almost never appropriate to use it.

5 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Writer's block, eh? That's a shame. I'd give you ideas but I can't think of any good ones (my thinker's broken at the moment due to a severe lack of sleep caused my my salute to St. Justin's Day). Anyways... hope you overcome it soon.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Fair enough. :)
How about "I would literally kill for that" or "it makes me want to literally tear my hair out"? It is impossible to debate the truth of these statements, but if I take the speaker at his word I have to assume that the first is dangerous, and will kill me to get whatever "that" is, and that the second needs therapy if "it" actually produces in him the desire to tear his hair out. You see my point.
Nevertheless, I see yours as well. One ought to be sure of one's subject matter before lecturing on it, eh?

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Some Ideas:

Rant against Government Schools
Talk about how unprepared people are for disasters
War with Korea?
TBQelite is standing behind me suggesting Military Hygiene.
A post about your family, favorite band, your car or any other person(s) or object that seems intersting at the moment.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger The Shadow Walker said...

You think that was enough to get you off the hook??
Probably. Gerhalt's easy going; kinda like a boulder that's gently rolling down a hill...

Anyways, as for ideas:
-Why are liberals so bitter after the election?
-Why do people insist that everything is America's fault?
-Why isn't the media going after the U.N. for all of their human rights violations?
-And why did we all know the answers to these questions, but don't/can't do anything about them except complain

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

I myself would be quite interested in reading a quality, thought provoking idea on why the people of MoveOn.org and other like-minded (or absent minded) viewpoints cannot simply “move on.” But at the same time I would literally be happy if there was a vaccination for writer's block so that one would never have to strain for an interesting topic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home