Monday, August 22, 2005

Writing stuff

So I’m almost done with my book, and as it builds toward the climax, it’s getting harder and harder to write. Where the words used to spill out so quickly and easily I didn’t know where they came from, I now have to sit and agonize for hours at a time before writing anything. In fact sometimes I don’t write anything. I just agonize.

But I’m past the point of no return. This book is and always has been, totally God, not me, so I suppose a little perspiration won’t kill me, especially since I got more than probably my fair share of inspiration, if you subscribe to the one percent rule.

I did recently have a breakthrough after weeks of writer’s block. It was small but significant. And it was the first thing to be written in the new journal (thank you Sarah and David). It also happened directly after a much more significant breakthrough in my relationship with God and my willingness to obey him. I don't doubt that the two are related.

That said, I already have an idea for my next book. “Getting a little ahead of yourself aren’t you?” you might ask. And you’d probably be right.

The new idea, far from being the Lewis-esque fairy tale that the current one hopes (desperately prays) to be, is based on an actual, live, real-time romance happening very close to me. And it’s so totally awesome because it’s the kind of beautiful, pure, innocent romance that you never see in today’s everything-goes atmosphere. Even in church, where we often blur the lines between our standards and the world’s (read about it in chapter nineteen of my book!) you rarely see something this … lovely.

The reason I want to write it is because it would be really challenging. You can’t just write that like regular fiction. It has to be really poignant and unique to be a success. A “Lovely Bones”/”Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius”/”Catcher in the Rye” type thing, if that makes any sense. But uplifting.

I hate that the choice so often has to be made between really good literature that makes you feel like killing yourself and a really uplifting story that’s badly written.

Am I capable of rising to such a task? I guess we’ll find out. The really interesting thing about it is that I don’t know how this story ends yet. I think (and I hope this is God) it ends as beautifully as it starts.

Actually I know it ends perfectly, praise God, but I don't know if perfect means what I expect it to mean.

Anyway, look for it in stores in a couple years. It’ll be called “Evolution of a perfect love story” or something equally cheesy. Well, okay, maybe not.

But pray about it for me. If it’s God it will happen.

Hey, have you read this? I wasn’t funny at all today, was I? My sincerest apologies. I’ll see if I can find something to get indignant about for my next post!

4 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What?! A normal blog post where the blogger actually writes about something in her own life as opposed to her views on something that happening outside of it? This cannot be! Such a thing shouldn't exist!

Well... I suppose it works... *smile*

Anyways... I hope you get out of your writer's block. That is one of those most irritating curses. I really look forward to reading your book that you are currently writing and I hope things work out for your second one as well. Such stories are something that are needed in this day and age.

I may have asked this already but are you planning on getting your book published?

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Is it to early to volunteer as a pre-reader?

I hope God gives you the inspiration to finish your book. It would be sad to put so much work in to a project and end with a Frank Peretti/Frank Herbert style finale where the story cuts off in three pages leaving the reader disappointed.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

that WOULD be a shame. Thanks for bringing it up, I hadn't thought of it before now. : )
Poor Perretti. You know, he really is a great storyteller. He just can't write. It's too bad. But I'll read him anyway. he's usually got something to say, so I overlook whatever is lacking in his prose.

Anyway, yes I do plan to get it published but, you know, to man belong the plans of the heart...

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

Glad to hear that you're making progress with your book. If it's anything like what you've described it should be a good read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home