Monday, February 07, 2005

This is what happens when there is no political/religious outrage for me to harp on

Warning: subject is prone to change abruptly, so stay on your toes.

I behaved exactly like a man yesterday.

I dressed in a baggy sweatshirt and jeans, and ate more barbecue food than was necessarily healthy.

Then I watched the Superbowl. I ate pizza. I drank beer.

Just to make sure I was in fact, still a woman, I baked a cake (which was against my diet, but I needed chocolate).

I let the men do the dishes. It was a great day.

Suddenly I understand where they’re coming from. I wouldn’t want some woman nagging me to get stuff done either.

I also watched “Michael Moore Hates America,” a documentary by some other guy named Michael, whose last name is not memorable.

It was made between “Bowling for Columbine” and “Fahrenheit 9/11,” so it revealed a few of the untruths in both, but its focus was mainly on Moore’s anti-American attitude, and habit of complaining without offering solutions.

The movie was done in the style of Moore’s documentary “Roger and Me” and the other Michael spent the whole movie trying to track Moore down for an interview. He never got it.

I was impressed by its honesty. For instance, at one point Mike lied to an interview subject about the purpose of the interview because he was afraid the guy wouldn’t want to talk to him if he knew the truth.

But the documentary also showed Mike arguing with his producer over the deceit, (the producer threatened to step out of the project if Mike used the interview footage), and eventually they sent the interviewee a letter explaining that they had misrepresented themselves and they would not use the footage without his permission. The subject agreed to let them use it.

The kind of self-deprecating, jocular honesty the filmmakers employed was disarming. But I have to admit I was predisposed to believe it anyway.

Today I received a mail order of Chilean snail extract. It’s supposed to be good for the skin.

It came in a small box, which once opened revealed an even smaller box, which held a tiny little $30 jar of cream. The policy apparently prohibits use of more than one snail per jar. This stuff better be good.

I’m thinking about getting a tattoo. I haven’t entirely designed it yet, but I think it will have the word “forgiven” somewhere in it. That’s an important thing to remember. What an amazing thing to be forgiven and be called a friend of God.

Anyway, today’s Bible verse is John 16:33b.
“In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

I love that. What a powerful statement.

14 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I [am] the LORD.

-Leviticus 29:8

In NIV its "don't cut or tattoo youreself" or something like that. Besides tatoos are Nasty. It may be cool in the military but I think tattos are gross.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I also would advise not getting a tattoo. I was going to mention that verse that Rabenstrange did but he beated me to it. So I'll just offer you this: while tattoos are cool at the time you won't appreciate it as much when you get older. But it's up to you.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

I'm going to get a tattoo, but not until I'm in my eighties. I have a lot of time to consider what I'd get, but it will have something in it along the lines of "I'm not dead yet!" I just think it’s really funny when people in high school had tattoos with their favorite bands or singers or groups' name in it. Seriously, how many people remember which groups had songs on the top of the charts 6 years ago? They obviously will, even when no one even remembers who the group was. It’s also funny to see old people who got tattoos when they were young and in good shape; now with their sagging, flabby skin which makes for a sagging, flabby tattoo.
If I were to get a tattoo today for whatever reason, it would have Bun Bun from the comic Sluggy Freelance.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Most people remove their comments because they accidentally posted them twice.
While I appreciate the advice, I have actually thought of these things before. I have been thinking about it since I was your age, TBQelite.

By the way, Leviticus 19 ALSO says, "do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."

"Do not eat any meat with blood still in it."

"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip the edges of your beard."

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try this:

Get a friend.

Eat lots and lots of Cracker Jacks. I mean lots.

Take the fun surprise out of the Cracker Jacks boxes.

Have your friend use the temporary tatoos to draw the word Forgiven on your back.

Take a shower...

=D

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger The Shadow Walker said...

A lot of the stuff in Lev. and other books was put in their to protect the Jews (Hebrews) from certain things. For example, they weren't allowed to eat certain kinds of meat; well a lot of those animals that they were forbidden to eat carried a lot of diseases that they weren't able to deal with their level of technology. Also, they had very specific instructions on how to deal with mold.
So, you couold say that a lot of the stuffin their is outdated...I personally have not desire to get a tattoo (I don't want any distinguishing marks on me that can't be easily removed), but it's up to you.

And congratulations on taking a step to understanding the male mind...you'll pardon us guys if we decline a walk through the female mind...

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

If your house gets moldy ... burn it down. :)
Yes I understand why many of the mandates were put there, but it's a fine line to walk for us to decide which ones were for health reasons, which ones were merely cultural and which were symbolic spiritually. When it comes to things like that, I think it's best to let the Holy Spirit guide you individually (and use common sense. Obviously the verse that says not to murder your neighbor still applies.)

As for the female mind, it might do you all some good to go exploring.
I don't mean go shopping and get a manicure. Just pretend that everything that happens in the house is something you are responsible for or have to clean up later. See if you don't get a little naggy now and then.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Matt said...

You seem a little bitter that you weren't born as a guy.

As far as seeing everything around you as work to be done, I don't think that's necessarily a female trait. I know guys who are like that and I know girls that are willing to let the dishes stack up until they get in the way.

I'm sorry that you were born an obsessive cleaner and your suffering renews my thankfulness that I can see garbage on the floor, walk past it, and go play Cstrike.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

Actually I deleted the first post due to multiple postings, so if you really want to read it then just read the non-deleted one twice. So have you picked out a design that you want yet?

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Dave said...

LOL- I liked the "baked a cake part"

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

That's what's so interesting, and I guess what makes it so frustrating. I'm not an obsessive cleaner. I hate cleaning.
But as one of the only females, and also the person who, through a strange twist of bad luck, is in charge of the common living area, it is my responsibility to make sure everyone's mess is cleaned up. Not because I care, so much as because I get in trouble every time someone leaves a cup in the day room.
For the record, I am not bitter about not being born a guy. I like guys more than most girls, but I don't want to be one.
What did Mrs. Banks say? "Although we adore men individually, we agree that as a group, they're rather stupid." Don't take that personally. I'm always joking.
Also, I'm glad everyone is so concerned about my skin.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

I almost cried when Ricky got his tattoo too, but that was because he owed me like $300 at the time.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger The Shadow Walker said...

All I have to say is that I certainly hope that Kate and Rabenstrange have never lived in the same room...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home