Monday, February 14, 2005

Pride is such an easy trap to fall into

The verdict is in.

I am, at least in some ways, one of the masses. But maybe it's not so bad.

The insufferably snobby part of my nature shies away from anything that is popular or held in high esteem among those I see as the uneducated (or overeducated), amoral, blindly conformist flocks of the American public.

You'd think it would be a good thing to be an individual - and it is, if it means "lliving a Godly life among pagans" and being separate from the crowds for the sake of Christ - but I find my refusal to conform often applies only to some areas of my life - reality TV, Jackass, the desire to get stumbling drunk and make out with a table lamp three nights a week, for instance.

But when it comes to other, more serious vices - greed, lust, pride, Starbucks - I'm quick to conform, just like the rest - sometimes even going against my actual desires, for the opinion of others (rather than the state of my soul) is often in the forefront of my mind.

It's interesting, when I step back and look at it, to try and figure out what the criteria are for things I scorn as being "too mainstream." What makes me look down on one thing with disdain, while being ashamed of my real moral aversion to other things - so much so, I've been known to pretend a lack of values where none exists?

I will behave as though I'm "above" a certain TV show (or a mind-numbingly syrupy, but nonetheless wholesome Hillary Duff film, for instance), but I have to make up an excuse to leave the TV room each night so no one will discern that I actually despise "South Park."

So I've decided it's not so bad to be one of the masses sometimes. And when I refuse to conform, it should be for the sake of righteousness, and so I can be a better ambassador to Christ, not so others will think me an intellectual.

Besides, being a "non-conformist" really only inserts one into another stereotype: the self-proclaimed "individual" who read books they barely understand, smugly debate the decline of society, spend hours trying to look like they don't care how they look and eventually end up smoking enough weed to dull their wits without necessarily bringing that fact to their attention.

I've decided it's time to enjoy what I actually enjoy, and say what I believe - to, instead of letting the fear of man dictate my behavior, (attempt to) hate nothing but sin, fear nothing but God, and know nothing on this earth but Jesus Christ and Him crucified, as John Wesley (and Paul) put it.

I will read "The Lord of the Rings," even though everyone on the planet is reading it also because it's a great series. (I will console myself with the knowledge that I first read it when I was half the age of the average consumer and long before Frodo's face was that of Elijah Wood.)

I can go into Starbucks - soulless and corporate as it is - and order a sugar-free, nonfat vanilla latte. I cringe inwardly whenever I do this, but try to remember that I've also cheerfully choked down motor oil passed off as coffee in the Iraq desert, and enjoyed homey, family-owned coffee shops in places like Fells Point, in Baltimore, where the streets are cobbled. Does this make sense? I don't have to feel like I'm a dull-witted follower just because I really like their coffee.

Just because I eat at franchise restaurants and read in giant chain bookstores and shop at Old Navy, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate culture.

And just because I got good grades and was memorizing Tennyson at the age of ten, that doesn't make me qualified to judge the rest of the people I know (some of whom are remarkably smart by the way).

It's possible some of them have more depth than I have given them credit for - possible, but unlikely. No, I'm just kidding.

I'm not really a snob, I just believe in accurate self-reflection. My dad told me it's important.

I guess my point is that all that crap doesn't matter. It's incidental. The only thing that really matters is living for Christ, and if I'm doing that, who cares ifI drink the same coffee as the rest of the masses?

20 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Matt said...

You seem to be struggling with a very similar issue as I am. I have a disdain for the masses who are so similar to me except that they waste their time watching TV and I surf blogs and read books about economics and politics.

The only thing in your post I have to take issue with is your reference to Hillary Duff as "mind-numbingly syrupy, but nonetheless wholesome". Duff's films always portray teenage romance as wonderful, sweet and the answer to all one's problems. I belive such irresponisble behavior undermines marriages and real relationships before they start. Besides, if I knew you in person, I'd bet you $20 that within 5 years Hillary will be just as slutty as Britany Speares.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

While I don't disagree with you Rabenstrange, what I meant by "wholesome" was simply that she doesn't take off her clothes, cheat on anyone or do drugs in her movies. And since TV ads increasingly sicken me with their "if you are completely devoid of any morals you'll love our show" and "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" attitude, it's refreshing to find any movies my little sisters can safely watch.
But you're right anyway.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger The Shadow Walker said...

While...Here's my take:
I, for one, ignore the masses. I do what I wish to do, because I want to. If I choose to wear something, to drink a certain brand, or to read or watch anything, I do so because I want to; not because everyone else is, or because I want to spite the masses and be different: I find that I am very different and spite them on a very regular basis simply because of who I am: A Christian Conservative, INTJ, White Male College student with a sarcastic streak...well, a few sarcastic streaks...

Anyways, the point is is that I simply choose to do things the way I want to without any regard to how others do it. I pay attention to other people for the learning and the enjoyment value and nothing else.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

While that's admirable, and while I have no doubt it's mostly true, I would be surprised to find that it's entirely true.
I know many people who would LIKE to be immune to peer pressure and overcome the fear of man (the fear of man's opinion is far more powerful than physical fear of man), but I know very few - none, in fact - who, if they were honest with themselves, would not discover some outside influence that tends to affect their actions.
I don't know one person who does exactly as he pleases, follows God wholeheartedly and is impervious to criticism or advice except where he knows he will benefit from it.
I drink Sprite because I like it, and I don't eat Mayonnaise because I don't like it. But I admit to experiencing difficulty standing up for some of my beliefs in the face of mockery. It's something I intend to work on.
My point was simply that I often hold whole groups of people in perhaps undeserved disdain, when I am not so different from them myself.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger The Shadow Walker said...

Well, you may think that, but first I would point something that makes me very unique and quite different from you: I am an INTJ (Rational Mastermind).

From what I have read on TBQelite's blog, you are a ENFJ (An Idealist Teacher). That makes a world of difference.
INTJ's are very self-confident (freakishly so) and very independent. Combine that with two other key factors:
1. I was homeschooled from pre to high school, and never had much interaction with "peer" groups of any kind, and
2. I spend time nearly exclusively with people who nearly always agree with me (or vice versa if you so choose). Rabenstrange, TBQelite, Neemund and Gerhalt and I almost always agree, but not always.
For example, Rabenstrage has never read Harry Potter, but bashes it; Neemund as only read a little and has decided to not make an opinion because it would not be an informed opinion, whereas TBQelite and I have read all of them and we like them. It can be a point of moderate contention when it come up, but on other things we agree completely; not just because we put up someone elses' opinion, but through independent thought we reach the same conclusion.
Yes, we do tend to trade around mannerisms and catch-phrases (like, "Nifty", or "Frag you.") but that's incidental.
Anyways, if you have any doubts, goto keirsey.com and look up INTJ's or just Rationals in general.

-Tarrick, the Shadow Walker

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

Shadow Walker is pretty much accurate in his statements. Although I can think of an individual who can influence his behaviors against his will. He refers to this person as "Mommy".

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I truly didn't care what other people thought, I would not post. It would be a waste of my time.

But, I want you all to love me, to think I am a great looking genius who has no faults, but is still totally easy to get along with...

Oh... wait... I am anonymous, not everybody... sorry... wrong post...

=D

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

To back up what rkid#1 pointed out, let's take a look at your own blog, Shadow Walker, where you have an entire post dedicated to explaining to someone else why you use bad grammar. If you don't care what anyone thinks, why would you feel the need to explain this?
In the post, you say, "I really don't have the time to go through and check everything before the masses start to get angry." Thought you didn't care about the masses?

Incidentally, I agree that it's important for your closest friends to be people who have the same or roughly the same moral standards as you, but I don't think there's any educational value in ONLY speaking to people whose opinions mirror yours. How could you ever find out if you were wrong about something?

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger The Shadow Walker said...

*Sigh* Allow me to more precisely explain myself:
-Firstly, part of my blog in which "masses" are mentioned was done so sarcastically. Also, the people that I am speaking to are in a special category of people, called "readers." I am marketing my product (free as it is) to these people; therefore it is my best interest to listen to them.
-Second: I never said that I don't listen to people; quite the contrary, I listen a great deal. However, I do not simply make my choices based upon their choices, nor do I allow their choices to influence my choices. I analyze the data (largely gathered from people who have made these choices, plus other areas if possible) and make my own decision. Did I use to go along with my parents decisions because that was what they thoughts? Of course; I wasn't always capable of making such decisions; however, as my 21st birthday looms, I am quite confident that I am capable of making decisions for myself.
And I reinterate: INTJs in general, and me in particular, are not supermen; we simply are very analytical and trust our own sense of logic to make decisions; not other people.
And also, yes I do surround myself with people who very often have the same opinions as myself, but so does everyone else. However, as a distinct minority (2-3%) we Rationals have to learn deal with other types of people. We just make our own decisions when doing so.

Oh, and if this seems like gross arrogance to you (which I am assuming it does) it's just how many people perceive a Rational's self-confidence mixed with his/her knowledge base which is instinctively built by a Rational with near fanatical fervor. It's true.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Shadow Walker's comments will make alot more sense if you know that the "rationals" and "INTJs" he is talking about are Keirsey and Myers/Briggs temperament types. To learn a little more about this method of personality classification visit http://keirsey.com/ or typelogic.com.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

No need to get exhasperated, we're having a good conversation! :)
First, the comment about your blog was made tongue-in-cheek and not intended to be taken seriously. I know what you meant.
Second, I am not implying that you are incapable of making your own decisions. I am simply saying that A) If you are honest with yourself you MIGHT discover that what other people think of you does matter, at least a little, and that B)ENFJ or not, I am not a whimsical, head-in-the-clouds person who is incapable of making my own decision, but I AM willing to admit my weakness - that, much like everyone else, appearances matter to me, perhaps too much.
Third, I have some experience being a minority as far as personality and upbringing (homeschooled, Christian female soldier).
I am not saying that you are arrogant. Merely that what you described in your first comment is an ideal that most strive for and few achieve, although some are closer than others. Also, while I found Keirsey to be for the most part accurate, it is nonetheless a generalization and I won't put too much stock in it during moments of self-reflection.
The funny thing is, this is all outside the main point of the article, which was that I should be careful about my own misplaced arrogance.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

"I am not saying that you are arrogant"
Why not? He calls himself arrogant and so do we because he is arrogant.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Why not?
Because I don't know him. I am hardly qualified, based on the nature of our acquaintance, to make a statement like that.
Besides I like to assume the best until I know better, and he has more often referred to himself as "confident" than "arrogant."

The two are often confused, but there is a difference. Confidence is a wonderful trait and I wish I had more of it, but arrogance I cannot abide.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger The Shadow Walker said...

Alright, let's end this once and for all...
First of all, Neemund is right: I do refer to myself as arrogant. Heck me and Rabenstrange often refer to it as "A way of life".
This is all purely (well mostly) satirical and good fun as we accuse ourselves of being what a lot of people think we are. It's just in out nature to act this way.

Also, fear not, I bear you no grudge for anything, I merely felt the need to completely explain everything. Also, I don't automatically dislike you because you are an Idealist...really...

Anyways, just for everyone else, here is a website that features some very good information about rationals (referred to on the site as Conceptialists: http://209.15.29.56/myersbriggs/conceptualist.htm

Anyways, that's all folks...or is it?!?!?!?!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Okay I concede.
Ha! got the last word. :)

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger The Shadow Walker said...

I may not really care what people think, but that does not preclude me from having a mini-crusade against ignorance. I think that if people have a better and more precise understanding of how other peopel think, we would have less problems in the world.

That's why. :)

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I now have the last word.However, knowing some of the people who post on this blog, I have my doubts as to whether I will remain in this exalted opinion.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger The Shadow Walker said...

Darn Right.

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By posting here... no one knows who got the last word... :P

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Or so you would think...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home