Wednesday, February 16, 2005

In the news today (this way you don't have to watch CNN tonight)

As I’m sure you’ve all heard, Michael Jackson was rushed to the emergency room on the way into court yesterday. His lawyer described him as “very, very ill.” He is being treated for flu-like symptoms.

I, too, have been experiencing flu-like symptoms, but unlike Jackson, I am not due in court on child molestation charges, so an ambulance was unnecessary. Jackson’s doctors report he is suffering from “lack of being the only person the spotlight.” They cite as causes to the illness, the fact that both Scott Peterson’s trial and Janet Jackson’s left nipple got more media coverage than Michael’s dancing on a parked car episode.

Iran is almost educated enough to build its own nuclear bomb, Israel says. Iran says the suspicious explosion near its only nuclear power plant was, “a complete coincidence … wait, what are you even talking about? We were building a dam.”

Israel believes Iran is a mere six months away from having the necessary knowledge to create the bomb. Iran says the nuclear program is for electricity generation only. The two countries are expected to continue saying “yah huh” and “nuh uh” at each other until they forget what they’re arguing about, or one blows the other up. Whether Washington will intervene is yet to be determined.

The three CBS staffers who were asked to resign have hired lawyers and are attempting to sue CBS for breach of contract, or defamation of character or something. In the meantime, they continue to collect a paycheck at CBS, where top officials are doing the math right now to decide whether it would cost less to give them a settlement or just continue to pay them and extend the legal process until their contract eventually runs out.

Arthur Ventham, an Australian former weapons inspector told the U.S. Senate that UN weapons inspectors were incompetent, and spent most of their time drinking vodka and ignoring "a shadowy, nocturnal fleet believed to be smuggling goods for Saddam Hussein," according to a news article by somebody.

This poses a large problem for American liberals, who, if inspector incompetence is proved, will no longer be able to trumpet that "there were no weapons of mass destruction, you lousy communist war mogers!" It won’t be a problem for me, though. If Sean Penn didn’t find any, there weren’t any to be found, that’s what I always say.

The Kyoto Protocol, the UN treaty on global warming, took effect Wednesday. It was supported by 141 countries, but not by "the world’s biggest polluter," the United States, the article on Google News stated.

In related news, France has started a petition that, if signed by enough people, would officially designate the U.S. as "unhelpful" and "extremely annoying."

Comedian Chris Rock has fans enraged after he dared attack the sacred ceremony that is the Oscars. Rock reportedly said that *gasp* only gay men watch the Oscars. Furious, Hollywood is demanding that Rock, who is slated to host the Oscars, be replaced by someone less offensive – is Michael Moore’s schedule free? Someone should call him.

Finally, a new poll reveals that 49% of Americans screaming epithets at the other 51% and calling them morons has failed to convince the 51% that the 49% are right and we should have voted for them after all.

So in a new tactic, the 49%, aware that since they no longer like to have children the 51% will grow at a faster rate, have decided unanimously to scream even louder and add the word “imbecile.” We’ll see in 2008 how this works out for them.

There, now you don’t even have to watch the news.

11 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Neemund said...

"Iran is a mere six months away from having the necessary knowledge to create the bomb"
They really should read more. Last month's issue of Popular Science basically gave a how-to guide to building your own nuke. Apparantly just about anyone with a college level understanding of physics and chemistry can build one if they have the right materials.
As for the BS power generation, aren't they also sitting on a few hundred million barrels of oil? They could burn it to their heart's content for power and wouldn't begin to run out for a few hundred years.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for saving me the time and consolidating the news down into a much easier and convenient format to intake into the mind. Not to mention entertaining.

I just have to ask about the part where you mentioned France's "petition". Where did you get this from? I'd like to see your source. I find this to be greatly amusing.

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the right nipple, I believe. I try to stay, er, abreast of the news. Of course, this is just a game of tit for tat. You won the last one, if mammary serves. But that's only because the odds were stacked against me. I better quit now, Justin time. You probably already think I'm a boob.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... who is that other anonymous person... Don't they know that I am the only anonymous one around here? Pretty soon there will be so many people posting anonymously that no one will know who said what!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Toad734 said...

I realize this was a summary of the news but this post is almost impossible to respond to due to the fact that it covers so many subjects. My advice to you is to break them up into smaller ones so people would be more inclined to read it, and it would make for easier responses.
Yes Michael Jackson is a nut and it was very convenient for him to get sick at this point. I would be sick too if I was molesting little kids.
As far as Iraq and weapons inspectors go, we have our entire military there now and they haven't been able to come up with any weapons either.
And by the way, it was Janet's right nipple.
With regards to your lecture on my blog, if you don't want people to respond to past blogs, if you feel they no longer have any relevance then delete them. I was being a courteous blogger.
Yes, I use sarcasm in my writing. I am a sarcastic person, that's just me and who I am, but there is logic in that sarcasm.
I also try to make my blogs somewhat entertaining; they aren't always going to be polite and cheerful, so sue me.
I can only hope someone will read what I have to say, and with the humor and sarcasm will realize that I'm not all fire and brimstone; they are only opinions that people can read or not read and agree with or disagree. I also hope that I am able to induce dialogue with people who don't always agree with me. If I wanted to preach to the choir, if I wasn't open to others viewpoints I wouldn't be reading and posting on your site. I suggest you do the same. Nothing gets accomplished otherwise.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Emily said...

So Michael Jackson is claiming to be sick? I guess it just goes with his sick mind.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Okay, first of all to TBQelite. Sorry, I should have been more clear. Since this entry was mostly a joke you shouldn't believe everything on it (in that way I'm not unlike CNN). I made up the part about the French petition, along with a few other things.

To Toad: Firstly, it was not a lecture. I was simply pointing out that you achieve more with a smile than you do with a stick. A soft answer turns away wrath. Your rhetoric smacks more of hatred and arrogance than of a desire to communicate with people of opposing opinions.
You may deny it, but 75% of your comments to me (and indeed 90% of your own blogs) insult the intelligence of those who believe in God, or in fact anything you don't believe. If you want to engage in honest debate, I'm more than open to it. But if you're going to call me an idiot I have more valuable things to do.
As my sister pointed out, if you were really open-minded and desired communication you would be able to see the large holes in your logic. The most glaring of which was on the evolution column, where your answer made no sense whatsoever.
I never said kids should be taught creationism in school. I pointed out how sad (and unfair) it is that any parent would object to their children being told to consider something carefully and objectively.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hahaha.

I had assumed that most of the stuff that you wrote was something that you made up. However I thought you had some basis for each point that you were writing and then you just embellished it.

Oh wells... that's what I get for "trusting" online media *smile*. Wait... trusting any media for that matter. Now that I think about it, that's why I asked if you had a source.

Well no harm done since I generally take things with at least one grain of salt and I'm one who appreciates making up amusing "news" stories.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

Well it was kind of an embellishment on the whole Kyoto thing (that part was true). Most of the time if I say "in related news," the following sentence is a lie related to the previous true sentence. Confusing, huh?
In the future I'll try to let you know when I'm lying. :)

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Kate Robinson said...

The last two paragraphs are a lie (in that there was no actual poll. That doesn't detract from the truth of the statements, but it's not news, per se.)

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Like my "In other news: Renton has declared war on Spokane..." or my "And on this glorious days the citizens of Washington all rose up and smotted the unduly appointed governor (governess?) " "news" stories that I have been so tempted into writing. Actually... I a and going to make those articles.

(I know it's supposed to be smitten but smotted just sounds cooler)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home