Thursday, December 02, 2004

Wait until they find out 'holiday' means 'holy day'

A multi-cultural church group is banned from the participating in the Christmas parade in Arvada, Colo. according to an article in the Rocky Mountain News, (which I found on Human Events, a conservative publication that can be viewed at www.humaneventsonline.com).

The rules for the parade include no “direct religious themes” – such as “Merry Christmas” signs – and no traditional Yuletide hymns, said parade spokesman Michael Krikorian. The reason? They don’t want to offend people of other religions who might want to watch the parade.

Did I miss something? First of all, when did “Merry Christmas” become an offensively religious phrase? Second, when did free speech mean, “free speech unless it might possibly offend somebody who disagrees with it”? Third (and I’m sure Faith Bible Chapel pastor George Morrison agrees with me here) how is the Two Spirit Society, which honors gay and lesbian Native Americans as holy people – and which has not been banned from the parade – viewed as less potentially offensive and directly religious than a choir singing “Silent Night?”

This is only one example of “religious tolerance” and the establishment clause of the constitution being liberally (no pun intended) interpreted to mean, “Total intolerance of Christianity and all things related to it, even in the remotest of ways.” Never mind that the nation itself was based on faith and Christian values.

Coincidentally, I just finished reading a portion of David Limbaugh’s Persecution: How liberals are waging a war against Christianity that addressed the very same issue, specifically regarding Christmas and other holidays with religious roots.

Limbaugh documents case after case of intolerance and discrimination practiced against Christians in the struggle to erase God from the public eye entirely.

He names several cases of public displays in schools and other public buildings allowing the display of the Jewish Menorah and symbols celebrating Kwanzaa, while denying Christian symbols such as nativity scenes.

Many places have stopped celebrating Christmas, and instead celebrate “the winter holiday.” As one writer said in Limbaugh’s book said, “I can’t wait until they find out the word ‘holiday’ actually means ‘holy day.’ What to do then?”

So let me see if I understand what I’m being told here. I should not openly celebrate the birth of Christ my savior during a season traditionally dedicated to just such a celebration because it might offend people who don’t celebrate it. But I should not under any circumstances be offended by the open celebration of the winter holiday by people of other religions. That would be the height of bigotry and religious intolerance.

I don’t get it. It doesn’t bother me that Adam Sandler probably wants to celebrate Hanukah instead of Christmas, and it doesn’t bother me that my friend A.J. probably wants to celebrate Kwanzaa, and I’m certain neither of them lose a wink of sleep over the fact that I might sing “God bless ye merry gentlemen” on Dec. 25. So what’s everybody freaking out about?

Christmas has already been “westernized” to include a fat guy in a red suit who delivers presents to all the good children, merry elves and flying reindeer, and you haven’t heard us Christians screaming religious intolerance. Easter, likewise, combines celebrating Christ’s resurrection with pink bunnies and colorful eggs. Again no protests. And I don’t hear anyone out there indignantly shouting that Halloween (originally ‘All Hallowed Eve’) should not be celebrated because it might offend non-witches.

I urge Americans of all faiths to pray to whomever you choose for a country that touts tolerance as its highest virtue while practicing such outright discrimination.

p.s. I would like to respond to some comments from my anonymous reader from a few columns ago. 1. “You are right about everything and everyone else is wrong.” Thank you, reader. You complete me, whoever you are. 2. All those points you made about pro-lifers. I agree with you. Abortion is not a strictly religious issue, and the Pro-life viewpoint is not, as it is portrayed, synonymous with religion. Non-religious people are also allowed to believe that babies should not be murdered, and many of them do. My point was simply that my beliefs are strongly connected to my faith, but when I was not a Christian, I was still a pro-lifer. 3. Perhaps you are wrong about my “ambiguously spiritual” friend, and perhaps not. I don’t think she is married at this point. Thank you for your comments, I enjoyed reading them.

3 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all She is definatley married, she sent me a card saying so last year. Second in case you didn't already know this is your sister. Also just so you know. Christmas was actually invented to celebrate Santa although not in his present form. Saint Nicholas was once the most adored Saint in Catholicism second only to the Virgin Mary. His holy day was celebrated on 6 December when children left there shoes outside the door at night and awoke to them full of candy. They still do here in Germany. At some point Martin Luther wanted to ban Saint Nicholas since he had never been canonized but not wanting to alienate children he turned the December holiday into the celebration of the birth of christ (I think he was actually born in July or something). Many cultures however refused to give up their beloved Saint Nicholas and he gradually evolved into the jolly santa that we know today. So really Santa is the most religous part of the Holy Day and in a way the founder of it, I guess they'll have to ban him too.
Oh yeah and the ACLU one of the leading organizations trying to abolish christon symbolism in our country doesn't seem quite as worried about offending people when defending the Man Boy Love Association's (A group of child molesters that give eachother handy tips of the trade) freedom of speech. I guess that just doesn't bother people as much as a Merry Christmas.

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean Christian. I sure wish this thing had spell check.

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I said, Martin Luther changed it to celebrate the birth of Jesus when he banned Saint Nick because he thought his poularity was upstaging christ which was probably true. Before that it WAS called saint nicholas day. I wasn't saying that Christmas was not about christ, just pointing out that even santa is a religous figure. Just don't tell the ACLU (or Macy's apparently, they can't say Merry Christmas anmymore)
P.S I am writing this with one hand and a baby on my lap so give me a spelling break. Blame my bad education.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home